Wednesday, March 21, 2012

9. What if...there were no such things as IEDs?

My doctor (to me):  "I need to listen to your heart." 
Me (to myself):  "I wonder if she can hear that it's still broken..." 
~April 15th, 2010
When Jon came home for two weeks of R&R over Christmas, 2006, he casually mentioned an incident that had occurred around Thanksgiving during an operation termed "Turki Bowl I."  According to his account, his unit was stretched so thin during a major offensive maneuver that every available paratrooper was ordered out into the field to help.  While he and several other Soldiers were travelling back to base in an up-armored Bradley, their fighting vehicle was hit by a road-side bomb.  The vehicle sustained severe damage on the side of impact, but all passengers - thankfully - remained safe and sound.  When he produced a small piece of shrapnel he had recovered from the incident and asked me to keep it for him (since he technically wasn't supposed to have it in the first place), I stared at him in utter disbelief and asked how he could possibly not have told me at the time it happened.  I was hurt, angry even, at the fact that our conversation from the day of the incident had most likely consisted of me asking, "what did you do today, babe?" and Jon responding with, "oh, nothing, same old, same old."  But that was Jon - always trying to protect me from the worst case scenario.  He hadn't even told me about the "wish-list" he'd had to fill out before deploying to Iraq with his personal preferences for type of service (military or civilian?), type of casket (wood or metal?), names of pallbearers, and music to be played if something should happen to him - I had to find out about it when the brother of one of my close friends from Fort Bragg was killed and his fiancĂ©, through tears, described how Rhett had joked about the silly, wildly inappropriate music he'd want played at his funeral.  In the end, Jon's family and I had to guess about most of his preferences since his unit couldn't locate the papers in time for us to make some of the major decisions related to the funeral arrangements.  Luckily, Jon had spoken to his dad ahead of time regarding his desire to be buried at Arlington...and ultimately, we guessed correctly when it came to everything else.  

I didn’t even know what IEDs were until the summer of 2005.  While I was attending officer training at Fort Lewis, WA, we received a short, 20-minute class on the reporting procedures for calling in an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack.  It struck a strange chord with me since I was unfamiliar with the device and it all seemed so foreign and theoretical in nature at the time.  During that same summer, Jon was sent on a last-minute assignment to Iraq while I was still out in the field for two weeks of tactical training.  When I got back and tried to call his cell phone, it went straight to voice mail, which was unusual for him - he always kept it on so I could get in touch with him.  I called my mom to find out if she knew where he might be, and she asked if I was sitting down before breaking the news of his last-minute deployment.  When he returned home a few months later, Jon recounted the story of a time he was en route to a meeting with his new boss, a Brigadier General, and crossed a bridge that insurgents blew up with an IED just 10 to 15 minutes after their convoy had passed.  That was my first real introduction to the device that would take my sweet husband's life on his second deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

After the initial shock and disbelief of Jon’s death first began to wear off, I spent many nights tossing and turning in my anger over how the events of that fateful day in April of 2007 had played out.  Why had Jon gotten in the first truck that day?  It wasn't his truck and, arguably, he didn't even have to be there on that particular mission in that particular convoy.  Why hadn't he reserved a seat for himself in the last truck of the convoy with Lieutenant Booth instead of jumping in the truck that everyone knows is statistically more likely to be hit?  They had discovered 17 IEDs along the very same route he traveled that afternoon in the week prior to the incident.  I know it would have been nearly impossible to find a deep-buried IED with no visible traces of its presence on the surface of the road, but why couldn't our EOD teams with all their fancy technology and equipment have done something more to prevent what happened?  These are the questions that haunted me, even after I filled in many of the missing puzzle pieces during the months that followed.  I remember a conversation Jon and I had just a month or so before his scheduled departure date about the nature of his job in Iraq - as the S-4 (the supply, transportation and logistics officer), Jon felt that his assignment could not have been safer in terms of the odds.  He admitted, however, that the S-4 from his unit's sister battalion might disagree with that statement - this officer had reportedly been hit with an IED during his most recent deployment and had spent considerable time in the hospital recovering from his injuries.  I never did find out if he ultimately survived.

There are so many other "what ifs,” both from the time leading up to and during the course of Jon’s deployment, with which I continue to wrestle even now.  When he returned stateside in April of 2005 after a year-long tour in Korea, Jon was initially promised his first choice of duty assignment, which was Fort Campbell.  What if he had been assigned to Campbell instead of Fort Bragg?  Would any of this have happened?  When we returned from our honeymoon to Jamaica in June of 2006, we heard many rumors of the pending deployment to Iraq being postponed until February of 2007 and, indeed when Jon was promoted to Captain on July 1st, the commander of his unit confirmed that this was in fact the case.  What if Jon had gone to the Captain's Career Course at Fort Knox as planned in September of 2006 instead of joining his unit on the deployment that was suddenly reinstated just two weeks after the announcement that it was to be postponed?  With the deployment back on schedule, Jon had only 10 short days to prepare his unit’s equipment for immediate departure.  As a result, he had almost no time for himself to tend to personal matters, such as finalizing his will, before ultimately boarding a plane for Iraq on July 31st, 2006.

During the funeral services in New Hampshire, Patriot Guard riders from all over the country descended upon Jon’s small hometown to pay tribute to my beloved husband and shield our family from the Westboro Baptist Church protestors that showed up to picket the event.  The protestors posted flyers on their website (see www.godhatesfags.com , www.godhatesamerica.com, and www.hatemongers.com) that said, “thank God for IEDs” and “we’ve turned America over to fags; they’re coming home in body bags.”  Clearly, these sick individuals have never looked up the meaning of “hero” in a dictionary or else they might have an inkling of a clue as to how one of these “blessed” IEDs literally tears families apart.  And don’t get me started on their apparent confusion over the term “hypocrisy.”  Anyone who disagrees with me on this point is, of course, entitled to their own opinion, but it’s one of the few subjects to which I can guarantee I’ll respond with some sort of uncharacteristically scathing remark.  After my own deployment to Iraq from 2008 to 2009, my boss once mentioned off-handedly that he didn't think Soldiers who got blown up should be awarded the Combat Action Badge since they weren't technically engaged in enemy "combat."  In response, I said, "yeah, no kidding, Sir.  You can't shoot back at the enemy when they blow you up and kill you on impact."

Recently, on March 11th, 2012, I experienced a moment of sudden shock.  I realized, “oh my God!  I didn’t cry yesterday!”  It’s a rare day I can make that statement…and have it be true.  Most days consist of me replaying the mental image of that IED explosion over and over again in my mind…and then turning to my dog, my only true, constant companion since Jon’s death, and asking her if she can please live forever so that mommy doesn’t have to lose her too.  I overreact to the stupidest and most illogical of things that just don’t matter – like when I bawled over a speeding ticket – and I sit up late at night when I should really be doing work and run through all the “what ifs” again for what feels like the millionth time.  Mostly, though, I just long to feel my husband’s loving arms around me in the same way I sensed his presence in the days immediately following his death.  That IED may have destroyed his physical presence and simultaneously broken my heart into tiny pieces, but it can’t take away my memories and love for a man who, in my eyes, remains indestructible.  Come and see me in my dreams, Jon, so that I might hold you once more and see your sweet face.  I miss you.  I love you so much.  Always & forever…



No comments:

Post a Comment