Sunday, March 11, 2012

2. Angel of Mine

"My love, if I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."
~Unknown
To even begin to understand a world without Jon, I think I need to explain the circumstances under which this angel of mine first came into my life.


When Jon and I went on our first date, it wasn’t even technically a “date” as such.  We went to Bertucci’s Pizzeria, where I ate an entire pizza – by myself – and then saw the epic drama Old School…minus the epic drama part.  Jon later told me that he’d thought we would share the pizza.  On the way home, he’d almost totaled his Toyota Prius when he spun out of control on the snow that continued to make an appearance in New England as late as March.  He also told me that meeting my dad when he’d picked me up had terrified him – we weren’t even on a real date and already we were skipping ahead to the “meet-the-parents” phase!  But he grinned, gritted his teeth, and subjected himself to all that pain and suffering…for me.  Come to think of it, Jon did pay for both of us at the movie theater since I’d conveniently forgotten my wallet.  So maybe it was a date after all.  And even though it wasn’t all roses and candlelight, it was the beginning of something truly magical, something akin to a fairytale.  I'd almost given up on fairytales, but with Jon I got my very own Cinderella story – fairytale romance, fairytale wedding, fairytale life. 

Or so I thought.

            We first met in 2002 when I was a freshman and he was a senior in college.  At eighteen years old, I was a dedicated academic, allergic to exercise, and getting dirty ranked low on my list of priorities.  I wasn't even a citizen, having moved from Scotland to the United States when I was ten years old.  Despite these handicaps, I loved military history and decided to join the Army ROTC program.  I’d seen all the “Army of One” commercials on TV where female Soldiers jumped out of airplanes and blasted through targets with M16 rifles.  September 11th was still fresh on everyone’s minds, and I thought to myself, “hey, I could do that…right?”  At the time, Iraq was only a figment of the government’s imagination.  The only ROTC instructor with combat experience was Master Sergeant Matthew Eversmann, who was made famous by Josh Harnett’s character in the movie Black Hawk Down.  By my senior year, however, the odd man out was the instructor without multiple deployments. 

When I first showed up at the ROTC building in my little white shorts and silver hoop earrings (I was yet to undergo my transformation from “girly girl” to “tough warrior”), my future husband was the Cadet Battalion Commander.  After months of learning by some trial and lots of error, I began to understand what I had signed up for as an ROTC Cadet.  Better yet, I came to know the man I would later agree to marry.  I know I'm biased but I can honestly say that I've never met anyone quite like Jon.  The fact that he essentially broke the "dating rules"  when he ordered the other guys not to come near me so that he could have me all for himself still makes me laugh to this day.  And I always smile when I think about the time he called me en route from Fort Bragg to tell me that he wouldn't make it to an awards ceremony that night, only to show up on my doorstep an hour later and scoop me into his arms for a Hollywood-style kiss.  When I got my award, he jumped out of his seat and announced to the entire roomful of people, "That's my wife!!"  Although that wasn't an entirely accurate statement at the time, it made me happier to hear those words than whatever award I received that night.  That was the very essence of my Jon - mischievous, funny, and always able to surprise me my sweeping me off my feet when I need it most.


Jon and I at the awards ceremony
While I stayed at Hopkins to complete my degree and ROTC requirements, Jon graduated and entered onto active duty in June, 2003.  He began training almost immediately and succeeded in graduating from Fort Benning’s infamous Ranger School, a course with an overall failure rate of 50%.  Sleep-deprived, starving, and mentally exhausted, Ranger School students trudge up the steep mountains of Georgia and though the swamps of Florida while manically chanting to themselves the mantra of “never quit, never quit, never quit…”.  I have yet to see Jon’s father more proud than he was on the day Jon earned the coveted black and gold Ranger Tab; a Ranger himself, a Vietnam veteran, and the father of two sons both serving as Army officers, Mark was well within his bragging rights as a parent.


Jon and his dad at Ranger School graduation (Ft. Benning, GA)
By the time Jon dropped to his knee and asked me to be his wife, I had been dreaming about those magical words for two years.  Our Cape Cod wedding was like a scene out of a bridal magazine, and our whirlwind honeymoon to Jamaica was nothing short of heavenly.  When we returned home, however, we had only five weeks together before Jon deployed to Iraq on July 31st, 2006.  Looking back, I don’t know how we got ready for him to leave so quickly – we literally just pushed aside the bubble of newlywed bliss, buckled down, and made it happen.  In a no-frills, no nonsense ceremony at a parking lot on Fort Bragg, I tearfully bid my new husband farewell.  Jon wiped away my tears and assured me that I gave him so much to look forward to when he returned home.  No amount of assurances, however, could stop me from fearing the worst.  As I watched the white, prison-like bus carrying Jon and his Soldiers disappear into the distance, I already missed him with every fiber in my being.   The longing that ensued in the weeks and months that followed was like a physical ache for which there was no cure besides time.  As I quickly discovered, time isn’t exactly a “wonder drug” remedy, not when you’re anxiously waiting by the phone for twenty-four hours a day and checking email five times an hour for any word from a war zone thousands of miles away.  The news coverage didn’t help; this was back when sensational headlines about mounting casualties were the main theme of every news ticker and photos of fallen Soldiers constantly graced the cover of the Army Times.  I couldn’t go to the gym or turn on the TV at my house without being confronted with my greatest fears on a daily basis.


Saying goodbye to my sweetheart
While I embarked on my new life as a law school student, Jon became a minor celebrity of sorts in his unit.  He performed logistical feats like delivering sixty boxes of hot pizza to Soldiers at nine different outlying landing zones by helicopter and produced cold diet Coke for caffeine addicts and Cuban cigars for his commander.  He didn’t have to do any of these things, but he did them anyway – quietly – and earned the respect of his peers, superiors and subordinates alike.  Truth be told, he was never crazy about being the Supply and Logistics Officer, and often noted wryly that it was a thankless position; no one noticed when the job was done well, but all hell broke loose when someone didn’t have exactly what they needed when they needed it.  Jon, however, had the rare ability to make the best out of any situation, no matter how dire.  To improve the unit’s quality of life, he constructed a makeshift movie theater by whitewashing the wall of an abandoned building, blacking out the windows, and installing a wide-screen projector.  He put together a schedule of movie nights, complete with bootleg copies of the most recent releases, and provided popcorn for the staff.  A die-hard movie buff, Jon was also known for ability to produce movie quotes on cue that could break through the tension of any situation and have everyone rolling on the floor in laughter.  The Squadron Command Sergeant Major later told me that one of his favorites was when Jon would shout:  “How dare you come in here and bark at me like junk yard dog?  I am the President of the United States!”  This was from a scene in the movie Clear and Present Danger.  The CSM would usually try to get Jon to shout that quote out at least three or four times a week and it never got old.


Jon on patrol in Iraq
During December of 2006, Jon and I shared two brief but unforgettable weeks together for what the Army calls “R&R” leave.  We wanted to go on a cruise but figured our families would never forgive us if we abandoned them at Christmas.  Instead, we planned a whirlwind trip, first to New Hampshire, then to Washington, and finally to Florida.  It was on Christmas day that year that I last saw my husband alive.  This was back when the airlines allowed you to accompany your Soldier through the security checkpoint to the gate under certain circumstances and I guess redeploying on Christmas Day qualified as one of those special occasions.  As I watched him walk down the platform towards the plane and caught a final glimpse of his sweet face, a nagging fear left me feeling light-headed and strangely uneasy.  I had no logical reason to believe that I would never see him again, yet I sensed instinctively that something just wasn’t quite right.  His unit had already lost two officers, and Jon was profoundly affected by their deaths, knowing all too well that it could happen to any of them.  Over the next few months, we spoke several times about those two officers and how their deaths continued to impact their families back at home.  Jon found several pictures of their funerals posted on the Internet and told me that what literally "killed" him was to see the fiancee of one of the Soldiers receiving a folded flag while breaking down in tears.  I didn't allow myself to imagine at the time that I would soon be the subject of those very same photographs.  I didn't want to believe it.  I knew it happened but I thought it could never happen to us.  


Jon and I on Christmas Eve, the night before he left to go back to Iraq
I will save the details of what came next for a later entry.  The way the story ends is, by this point, no secret.  For now, I want to remember Jon in those last few moments while I sat with him at the departure gate on Christmas Day, holding his hand and breathing him in for the very last time.  He was simply, in a word, irreplaceable.  He lived every day by the motto "non sibi" - not for one's self.  He loved life with a passion and vigor, no matter what challenges he faced, and constantly sought to share that passion with others.  As a husband, he was perfect.  As a brother and a son, God doesn't make them any better.  Over the past five years, I hope that I’ve managed, in some ways, to make him proud.  I want him to smile down on me from up there in heaven, though I’m sure he’s shaken his head once or twice and asked himself what on earth I was thinking.  To say that he is missed does not even begin to describe the gravity of his loss.  No matter what I may do in the future, I will continue to speak to him as though he's still sitting right here next to me and ask him to give me the strength to find my way as I trudge clumsily forward.  I will continue to reach out to others who find themselves in this impossible situation and lean heavily on the friends and family without whom I would not be standing here – though shakily at times – today.  Above all else, just as Jon told me on the eve of our wedding, I will continue to love him, my beloved husband and best friend, “always and forever…and nothing will change that – ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment